Something strange afoot at the Electra condo building downtown:
The incident began Friday when contractor True North Concrete was brought in to raise some tiles that had sunk, said Bentz.
A material that was initially reported to be urethane was injected below the tiles but around suppertime tenants reported a noxious odour and nausea, prompting the hazardous materials call which resulted in downtown traffic chaos.
Then a chemical reaction of some sort resulted in smoke.
Firefighters dealt with the smoke but the smoke re-emerged Saturday afternoon.
“We still don’t know what is down there,” said Bentz of the area where the injection of material occurred.
“We still don’t know how far it goes because it’s not on any blueprints,” he said.
Vancouver deputy fire chief Mark Engler could not identify the materials used by the contractor but did say “they pumped for longer than they should have.”
The building will now be tested floor by floor for toxic residue before residents can move back in. Read the full article over at the Province website.