While some Canadian cities offer reasonable affordability compared to household incomes, Vancouver’s housing is, by any measure, highly overvalued and vulnerable to a sharp correction. Prices have risen 55% from their 2009 trough to a level 29% above their prior peak. The average home price reached nearly C$800,000 (according to CMHC).
- Sunshine Coast - is the real estate market shifting?All http://www.bigpacific.com/sunshinecoastm...-in-market Interesting article I just came across, but from May this year. Very upbeat forecast on real estate on the SC, contrarian view, or general consensus?
- Harper’s Election Promises & the Real Estate MarketYesterday, the Globe & Mail offered up an editorial that I felt worth posting here. Garth Turner, love him or hate him, has long posted the same sentiments about Finance Minister Joe Oliver vs Jim Flaherty at his blog The Greater Fool (Turner is a former Tory MP). Personally, I think it significant for the […]
- Foreign ownership "gee, dunno" trackerHi all, There's a lively debate on foreign ownership in the media, but the inevitable "nobody knows" acts as a giant reset button on policy change. "We shouldn't act until we have data" is a compelling line that excuses inaction. Regardless of whether foreign ownership turns out to be a big factor, this is a […]
- Vancouver Apartment HPI Data 1999-2015For some time I have had the sense that anyone who bought a Vancouver apartment property after about 2006 was not going to make any money on resale. Recently, someone over at VCI posted the apartment HPI for April 2010 and April 2015 and they were virtually the same. So, I thought I would take […]
- 2015 Bowen Island/Gulf Islands Sales StatsI created the Bowen Island sales stats table below based on data in the new Macdonald Realty ‘Market Hot Sheets’ which the company began producing this past December. Macdonald’s agents on BI are the mother and son team, Dee and Frazer Elliot. Macdonald Realty produces these ‘Market Hot Sheets’ once a month covering all the […]
- 2015 Sunshine Coast “$mill+” Property SalesYou have to admit that $million plus property sales on the Sunshine Coast are very consistent. Year-to-date sales are exactly the same over the last four years – 3. The one sale in January was up in Pender Harbour - a 1,400sf 3bed, 1bath waterfront home on 10 acres purchased for $2,500,000. This leaves the […]
- 2015 Sunshine Coast Land SalesJanuary to March land sales are up +62.5% vs last year year-to-date at 26 versus 16. Sales in the Gibsons led the pack up +50% over its nearest competitor – Pender Harbour (12 sales vs 6). SC Realtor© Kenan MacKenzie puts great store in vacant land sales. In his April 3rd ‘Real Estate Reflections', he […]
- 2015 Sunshine Coast Monthly Sales StatsI am three months late starting this thread, but this has its advantages. I have been able to cruise through a few SC Realtor newsletters, blogs, Twitter and Facebook feeds to really get a sense of how the 2015 market is unfolding. Who better to tell it like it is than those boots on the […]
- The Playoffs...bring em on.Woo - hoo, I'm happier than a pig in poo. 5 Canadian Teams make it into the playoffs! Oh, please, please, please don't have them paired off against each other in the first round!!!! I better post my brains out in the next week because after that I will be busy, busy, busy. My final […]
- Does the Price of Oil Affect the Vancouver Real Estate Market?I can’t help wondering! I understand that this forum is dedicated to discussion of the residential real estate market in Vancouver and environs. However, I just can’t get it out of my head that in some way, the prosperity of Canada in general and Alberta and British Columbia in particular, including BC’s huge residential real […]
- Sunshine Coast - is the real estate market shifting?