New government, new housing mandate.
In your role as Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing I expect that you will make substantive progress on the following priorities:
- Partner with local governments and First Nations to develop a community capital infrastructure fund to upgrade and build sports facilities, playgrounds, local community centres, and arts and culture spaces.
- Through partnerships with local governments, the federal govenrment, and the private and not-for- profit sectors, begin to build 114,000 units of affordable market rental, non-profit,
co-op, supported social housing and owner-purchase housing.
- Create new student housing by removing unnecessary rules that prevent universities and colleges from building affordable student housing.
- Amend the Residential Tenancy Act to provide stronger protections for renters, and provide additional resources to the Residential Tenancy Branch.
- With the Minister of Finance, deliver an annual renter’s rebate of $400 dollars per rental household to improve rental affordability.
- Work in partnership to develop a homelessness action plan to reduce the homeless population through permanent housing and services. As part of the plan, conduct a province-wide homelessness count.
- Work with the Minister of Finance to address speculation, tax fraud and money laundering in the housing market.
- As the Minister responsible for TransLink, support the Mayors’ Council 10-Year Vision for Metro Vancouver Transportation by funding 40%of the capital costs of every phase of the plan, in partnership with all levels of government.
We suspect many people reading here are disappointed that Eby isn’t the housing minister and are curious to see how that second to last point turns out. You can read the full letter here.