It’s the beginning of a new year and the end of another week.
That means it’s Friday Free-for-all time!
This is our regular end of the week news round up and open topic discussion thread for the weekend, here are a few recent links to kick off the chat:
–Chinese bottom fishers in Russia
–That’ll bump up the average
–Chinese buyers eye Seattle
–The pretending to pay buyers gambit
So what are you seeing out there? Post your news links, thoughts and anecdotes here and have an excellent weekend!
Donald pointed out this discussion over at the SeattleBubble blog about 10 reasons NOT to buy a home:
- Renters don’t have to fix leaky plumbing, pay for a new roof, or buy major appliances.
- The moment you sign the closing papers, you lose ~10% of your home’s value.
- Better job offer in another city? Hope you can afford to sell…
- Lousy neighbors move in next door? Too bad, you’re basically stuck!
- Your down payment and equity are anything but liquid.
Read the rest of the list at SeattleBubble.com. One interesting thing to consider is this list is based on a theoretical situation where home prices are at reasonable levels and supported by local economic fundamentals. In a hot housing market where prices only go up and people fight for the right to overbid on a teardown in a bad neighborhood it’s always a good idea to buy instead of rent. Always.